Saturday 11 June 2011

Hypocrite

Today, a few family friends came over. As conversations do, ours took several turns. We jumped from one topic to the other, agreeing or disagreeing and laughing or solemnly nodding. Then, we started talking about different religions and the politics of the country that I am from, it was then that all of us got into the conversation fully, some opinions just hanging in the air because other thoughts and voices were too loud or too dominant. There was a moment when my family completely disagreed with the other, so much so we wanted to slap them in the face and tell them they were wrong, they were hypocrites and they should, in a sense, get a reality check. However, relationships are important. We couldn't lose family friends, who genuinely love and care for us, over the past we can't relive for facts and the present we can't repair. So, my family didn't speak up to the slightly drunk uncle and a confused aunt. We quietly listened, still knowing in our hearts that we were, in fact, right. 


Now, here is my uncle who adds to the conversation by saying, "Anyone who kills another person, I don't care what religion he follows, if he kills, he is not right in the head or the heart. I don't care what the reason for the killing, A killer is a killer." 
After a few responses, he adds, "I know there is a God, and there is only ONE" he emphasizes, "These religions, are a way of diving people, creating hatred within ourselves."


And all of us agree, we nod and move on to talking about one of the politicians who ordered an attack against one of "my" religious groups. I put "my" in quotes because I don't believe in it. "My" would be used for the people who follow the same religion as you and have the same culture as you. However, to me, my people will be the ones who love me, understand me, my religion and my culture, regardless of who or what they follow.


Anyway, so this person kills more than a hundred people and she follows the same religion as my uncle. As my family begins criticizing her, my uncle suddenly begins contradicting himself, unknowingly. A hypocrite. "Oh, no!" he says, "It wasn't her who did it! It was another man who suggested this should be done. She had to let it happen. But another officer went on with it, she couldn't do anything but say yes"


I see, uncle! So, then, a killer is not a killer? She was a LEADER, for God's sake!!! and almost a good one, too. She had a brain of herself!! She could stop it, anytime!! Hypocrite.


Then, we move on to talking about religions and he says, "Thats all fine, but you know all religions arose from *insert his religion, here*? I mean where did *insert one of the people I follow, here* come from? If you want to know the real history, if you want to know what the truth is, read *insert his holy book, here*. Why do you think I believe in it so strongly." Hypocrite.


Now, my family and I had stronger view points, with facts. But, we decided it would not be wise to talk to a drunk uncle, and a confused aunt. Besides, old people like to consider themselves wiser than the young. 


Wow, this is a long post. But, I felt the need of writing it to tell myself that I need to understand MYSELF, first, before I begin to explain worldly things to others. What is it that I believe in? Why do I believe in it? Am I going to think one thing and say the other?


At least I'll think before getting drunk, now. All truth comes out when you're drunk, I tell you! All truth!

1 comment:

  1. too good tavleen.....ur views n opinions r absolutely correct....

    ReplyDelete