Wednesday 6 July 2011

Tell them, now before you lose them

My mom, my sister and I went to a grocery store, today. When my mom parked the car, I told them I didn't want to go inside (partly because I'm a lazy ass and also because I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from buying the delicious delicacies.) So, I sat in the car, focussed on texting my friends, unaware of my surroundings.

With hands carrying the grocery bags and eyes set on the car beside ours, my sister and my mom sat down in the car. "That lady in the car has been crying since we got here"my sister said.
"What?" I reacted, reflexively.
My mom clarified that she saw the old lady crying when she was getting off the car and when she came back.
I don't know why I was worried, but I threw out a "Haaww! Why, ma?" as my mom pulled the car out of the slot.
"What do you mean 'Why'? How would we know?" my sister said.
"Do you want to go ask her?" my mom pressed the breaks and looked at me.

I stared at her to check if she really meant it, since she rarely asks me to go upto a stranger and ask them how they are.

"Should I?"
My mom didn't answer me, she just stared into my eye. I took the seat belt off, got out of my car and walked towards the lady's car. I caught her looking at me, teary eyed, somewhat surprised and wondering.
When I stopped outside her door and looked at her, she hurriedly opened her door and passed me a weak smile.

"Are you okay, Aunty?" my voice concerned
"Uhm...yeah, yeah, I'm fine" she said, trying to stop herself from crying. I heard her murmur something
"Sorry?"
"Uhm...its just that..." her eyes welled up and she put her hand to her lips "just that a couple of months ago, my son died and..." her voice was quavering "and I think of him and..."
I wanted to hug her and try to make her feel better but instead, I caressed her back and told her that I was sorry and she should believe that he is in a better place.
"I hope so" she said, as I took her hands into mine.
"Don't worry...." I searched for words when she said, "No, no, its okay. I'm fine. Thank you, beta" she composed herself
"Please take care of yourself, aunty" and with that I left and got into my own car.

The moment I did, I saw my mom and the lady nod to each other.

"What happened?" My sister asked with the same concern I had
As I told them what happened, I saw my mother's eyes water up. We talked about how parents should never have to experience that. When I shared my thoughts that parents should never outlive their children, my mother looked at me and said, "There was a lady who was asked who she loves the most. you know what she said?"
My mom didn't let us answer, "she said I love my brother the most. She was asked why like most women she doesn't love her husband or her children more. She answered with 'I can always give birth to a  new baby, get a new husband but my mother is dead. I will never get another brother, So, regardless of how much he cares for me, I will never stop loving him.'"

I don't know know how much I agree with that since whether or not you get a new baby, your child is an individual. He is the person you are in love with. Your new baby will not be the same as your older children. So, losing them would be the same as losing someone you can not replace. It is not the relationship you grieve for, its the person.

That lady made me realize how important every single person in my life is. I don't know what kind of relationship she had with her son, but I do know that she misses him enough to not be able to stop crying when she is alone. Some say "People don't realize what they have until they lose it" and others say "People know what they have, they just don't think they'll lose it." I don't know which one is true but I know that when you lose someone, you'll regret saying/not saying things to them that you should have. So, if you haven't in a long time, tell the people you love, today that you can't afford to lose them.

***In my culture, Aunty is used as a synonym for Miss, Mam, etc. Beta is used to call someone child, sweety, etc"***

2 comments: