Friday 27 May 2011

One down, several to go!

My Facebook Status: Things work out if you want them to :)

Indeed, they do. For months, I've been thinking of starting a club at UBC. I had everything planned for it, too. The events, the themes, the members - if you see it through my eyes, it is one of the best clubs. Except, you need a team to start a club. 7 months back I put this idea into my friend's heads. Excited and hyper, they all agreed and I was convinced they were going to help me make this happen. But it didn't happen. I got annoyed, stressed. Here, it is! my idea burning into ash!

Like my mom would say, "You're acting as if you have no hands. You can't just expect the food on your table to fly into your mouth. You need to pick it up with your hand and put it in your mouth." It didn't happen because I wasn't working on it. I expected my friends to initiate. I expected for the club to just happen! How could it?

Today, I see that ash transform back into my idea like a phoenix re-forms. Couple of months back, I realized what my responsibility was. I took the initiative. Today, with two other friendsI have, finally (after too much work) turned my idea into an official UBC club.

All that stress for no reason. I really wanted this to work out and it did. When you REALLY want something, you work hard to get it and when you work hard to get something, you REALLY get it! It all works out!

But of course, just making the club wasn't all I wanted to do. I want the events to be one of the best and now we must get working on that! Contacting people in regards to your events can be both encouraging and embarrassing. Encouraging because the more e-mails you send out, the more you start to believe that   this is definitely going to happen and you are on the right path. Embarrassing because when you get a reply to that e-mail, you realize that the idea you are in love with means nothing to other people ~ they don't think much of it, at all. So, yes! one challenge down and the other one is standing tall!

But, "People don't trip on mountains. Get through the pebbles and the rocks, and you'll have reached the peak!" That is exactly what I plan on doing! I'm going to kick these pebbles and rocks out of the way to touch the summit!

Wish me Luck!

1 comment: